Mission and Purpose Statements
Library Mission Statement
The Troy University Libraries provide resources, instruction and programs that support Troy University undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff at campuses in Alabama and worldwide. The Libraries provide an environment that allows for the cultivation of relationships that promote the discovery, exploration, and creation of knowledge.
Library Purpose Statement
Troy University takes a centralized approach to the development and management of its library facilities and collections. Through the Dean of Libraries, all collection development, staffing, access, and physical facilities are managed.
The Troy University Library staff has developed a common purpose statement that supports the University’s mission of providing programs to meet the needs of constituents, essential support services for creative activities and research, a variety of public services to enhance the well-being of the University and its community, and providing the leadership and planning for future collection development. The University Library Purpose Statement provides the framework for collection development, facility needs and accessibility of University learning and information resources common to all campuses and sites. The Troy University Library’s Purpose statement is provided below.
1. The Library will provide a variety of information services.
- The Library will seek to identify and interpret information needs.
- The collection and services of the Library will facilitate faculty and staff research and curriculum development.
- The Library will assist in teaching students life-long learning skills through classroom library instruction and individual assistance with assignments, research strategy problems, and experience in using computer-based systems to access information locally and remotely.
- The Library will provide in-house use of resources and services for members of the community.
- The Library will provide materials and access to services for students wherever they are located.
2. The Library will provide an organized plan for Collection Development.
- The Library will select and acquire materials to support University academic and research programs.
- The Library will provide services for organizing, accessing, retrieving, and distributing information.
- The Library will maintain a continuous program of collection evaluation.
3. The library will provide a leadership role in the provision of campus information
- The Library will provide leadership in focusing the attention of University administrators, faculty, and students on current and changing technologies in information access and utilization and their demonstration and teaching.
- The Library will seek regular faculty participation in selection of and access to materials and in consultation on the creation of library and information assignments.