The Troy University Dothan Campus Library appreciates the pursuit of scholarly interests at Troy University. Use of the Dothan Campus Library is offered to the public, but should be considered a privilege to be exercised after one has made thorough use of the public library, or one’s own institutional library.
Visitors may consult books, journals, government documents, special collections, and other materials while visiting the library. Many library resources are now available in electronic formats. These databases are licensed for the use of University students, faculty, and staff. Use of selected resources by visitors is permitted, but they are asked to respect the need to give University researchers the highest priority of access through public-use computers.
In order for the Library to properly fulfill its mission of providing and protecting resources, guidelines for the rights and responsibilities of all Library users have been established. By using any Troy Library resources or facilities, the user agrees to these terms.
- Privileges for using resources held by Troy Library are available to all Troy alumni, faculty, researchers, staff, and students.
- Patrons who are not members of the Troy community have limited privileges, as determined by the Troy Library staff.
- All visitors to Troy University Dothan must immediately go to the Operator’s Station in Malone Hall and obtain a visitor’s pass
- All Library users are expected to conduct themselves in a manner which facilitates these rights for themselves and others. Users who do not comply with these guidelines may be asked to show valid identification and may be asked to leave the building by Library or University authorities.
- Access to resources will not be denied or abridged because of race, religion, sex, national origin, disability or age.
- The Library may require valid identification for access to resources, including equipment.
- The display of inappropriate materials on Library workstations by anyone where others can see it may be construed as constituting a form of sexual harassment prohibited by Federal and State Laws. Access and use violations of computer resources, including the above, are prohibited and will be treated seriously by this institution with commensurate sanctions.
All Library users are entitled to:
- courteous assistance from Library staff
- appropriate access to Library resources
- Library materials that are in good condition
- a quiet research and study environment free of harassment
- a clean physical environment
All Library users have the obligation to:
- interact courteously with other users and Library staff
- request assistance with any equipment related issues. Patrons are not allowed to tamper with printers or other equipment
- maintain accessibility of Library materials by properly checking out materials that leave the Library; returning books by the due date; and responding promptly to recall requests
- keep Library materials clean, unmarked and intact
- maintain a quiet environment
- abide by guidelines for use of public workstations
- maintain a clean, pest-free environment by not eating, drinking, spitting, or smoking in the Library
- maintain proper personal hygiene so as to not inhibit the use of the library by other patrons
The Troy Library operates according to the following building regulations to ensure the safety and security of all Library users.
- Excessive noise or other disruptive behavior which prevents a quiet atmosphere in the Library is not permitted
- Marking in, or vandalism of Library resources, including equipment and building, is prohibited
- Threatening behavior or unwanted attention toward another individual is prohibited. Persons who behave in such a manner may be referred to campus police.
- Children under 16 may enter Troy Library only if accompanied by an adult.
- Soliciting, selling or display of items for sale is prohibited. Placement of any material from off-campus groups is not allowed in the entrance or inside the Library.
- Personal belongings left unattended for an extended period of time will be collected and placed in lost and found.
- Except for local movement of chairs and tables, no movement of, or alteration to, Library furniture and fixtures is allowed.
- The Library has installed theft detection equipment, but is still authorized to perform a manual exit inspection for Library materials and to contact campus police if attempted theft is suspected.
- During an emergency evacuation of the building, all occupants of the building must follow the directions of the Library staff and public safety personnel.
- Possession or use of weapons, alcoholic beverages, or illegal substances are prohibited in the Library.
- Shoes and shirts must be worn at all times, as well as all other appropriate rules of dress must be followed
- Games are not allowed to be played on Library computers
- The viewing of pornography or other offensive materials is not allowed in the Library
- Inappropriate language and abusive behavior toward staff will result in revocation of Library use privileges
- Printing from computers for guest users is 10 cents per page
- Guest users may have their time on computers limited during periods of high patron usage