Frequently Asked Questions

Interpreter Training Program

This will be my 2nd bachelor’s degree, what is involved and how many hours do I have to take?

In order to earn a second or subsequent baccalaureate degree, a student must:

  1. Complete the first degree as certified by the registrar.
  2. Declare a new program of study after the first degree has been certified as completed by the registrar.
  3. Earn an additional 30 semester hours (beyond the previously earned degree).
  4. Earn a minimum of twelve semester hours (beyond the previously earned degree) in the major field.
  5. File an Intent to Graduate form with the registrar as prescribed in the class schedule.
  6. Meet all current requirements for the second or subsequent ​degree.

Is a teaching degree or certificate required for admission into the program?


Will it be for educational interpreting?

Students will take practicum and internships in both educational and community settings. The program is set up in from a “generalists” prospective and will allow students to work within both settings.

What courses are required for prerequisites?

General Studies and the ASL courses I-IV are general prerequisites for the 60 hours of Required Study Courses.

Can you CLEP the sign language courses?

No, not at the current time.

I do not live in the Troy, AL area, is the program available online?

Yes, the entire program is available online through TROY Online.

I am transferring from outside of Alabama, what do I need to do to get admitted?

Complete the general application process for admission to the university by applying here. Once accepted, contact the Interpreter Training Program Team at for more information and to be connect with your Academic advisor.

Are there scholarships available for the Interpreter Training Program?

Currently, there are no scholarships available.

When and how do I apply?

See answer to question "I am transferring from outside of Alabama, what do I need to do to get admitted?​". Prospective students can apply at any time during the year.

Do any parts of the program need to be taken on campus for TROY Online students?

No. There are two complete programs: one online (as an TROY Online student) and one on-campus or students can take a blended approach and take courses both on campus and through TROY Online. Those who do not live geographically proximal to Troy, AL and who are enrolled as an TROY Online student can complete the entire program (including internship, practicum, and externship) all online.

How long does it take to complete program?

It depends. Most students who take a full load will complete the program in 4 years. However, due to other factors such as the loads of classes or obtaining the required SLPI rating, students may take longer. There isn't a time limit, apart from any university requirements.

How many credit hours a semester do typical students take?

That really depends. Some students who make school their job take 18 hours per semester. Typically, a full time course load is 12 semester hours or 2 courses per term for online sessions.

For the online ASL and interpreting class, how do I get feedback from the teacher about my signing? I am assuming I perform for a webcam and the teacher critiques my video. (I already own a webcam and a digital video camera).

The courses require high speed Internet and a web cam. Each class is different in terms of teachers and requirements but generally, instructors engage and interact with students as well as student-to-student interaction required numerous times throughout the quarter. All students and instructors have access to Pronto (similar to AOL instant messenger or Skype) and are able to chat during their office hours via webcam.

Can I work at my own pace, either faster or slower, or am I bound by semesters calendars?

No, you cannot work at your own pace. Students begin a semester or term along with other students, often the same students are progressing through the program and therefore are in a number of the same classes. You may take a semester or term off but once a term or semester has begun, you are obligated to perform the work at a schedule determined by the instructor.

How do TROY Online students participate in the ASL/ITP club and Language Lab events?

During most of the ASL/ITP club events (such as the ASL/ITP club meetings and the workshops), online streaming via WIMBA/Collaborate feed is provided to enable all e-campus students to participate. The Language Lab Mentors are available on Pronto during Language Lab hours as well.

Will the Alabama State Department of Education and Alabama Department of Mental Health scholarship be given if a double major is implemented?

Currently, there are no scholarships available. Scholarships are available from the Alabama Department of Mental Health and the Alabama State Department of Education for tuition and books for all classes leading to a major in interpreting. This includes tuition and books for all courses, including general education courses, required in the interpreting major. This does not include any extra classes or classes in another major or minor.

What are the scholarship eligibility requirements?

Currently, there are no scholarships available.

The scholarship requirements are:

  • Declare interpreting as a major.
  • Complete all course work required of the interpreting degree.
  • Miss no more than one semester or term.
  • Maintain a minimum of 2.75 GPA.
  • Obtain an Intermediate Plus on the SLPI for acceptance into the ITP major upon completion of the 4 ASL courses.
  • Upon graduation, an agreement to work for the funding agency (either DMH or DoE) for 3 years.
  • Failure to maintain the requirements will result in a default and the students account will be charged back all money received toward this scholarship.

How do I get a Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI) implemented?

In order to register for any EDU courses with an exception of EDU 2200 and EDU 3364, an SLPI (Sign Language Proficiency Interview) rating of Intermediate Plus is required. SLPI evaluations are performed when scheduled, or upon request. To schedule an appoint with the Alabama DMH Team, please complete and submit the forms on to Shannon Reese, ( If you do not live in Alabama or do not have access to a Video Phone, please check the listing of other SLPI administrators for a closer location:

See video examples of the SLPI here:

What if I don't pass my SLPI evaluation rating of Intermediate Plus?

You may take a second evaluation with a three-month waiting period after your first evaluation.

Upon graduation from Troy University's ITP, will I be a certified interpreter?

Troy's ITP does​ not certify interpreters. Instead, we prepare students to sit for the certification tests. It is not guaranteed or required to take and pass a certification test, but much of the classroom material is based on the requirements for the test. It is strongly encouraged for students to take the certification test after graduation.

How do I become a certified interpreter?

There are two nationally recognized certification tests you can choose to go through. Both have a written and expressive component.

The first, is the NAD-RID NIC Certification. It is the most widely accepted certification. Please visit the following website for more extensive explanation, requirements, and application:

The other, the EIPA (Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment) is focused on interpreting in educational settings. Please visit the following website for an in-depth explanation, requirements, and the registration procedure:

What is Wimba/Collaborate?

Wimba is best described as a virtual classroom. After registration for the workshop is received, each participant is emailed their own log in credentials a few days before the event. The log in includes a setup utility to test and confirm that the required components are installed and ready on the laptop or PC/Mac.

The minimum system requirements are:

  • Windows 7, Vista or XP; Mac OS 10.4+
  • 512 MB RAM
  • An Internet connection at 56k or higher (some DSL connections are not fast enough to maintain a clear connection)
  • Sound Card
  • Speakers

Once logged into the virtual classroom, you will see the presenter via video, and be able to interact with the presenter and other participants via instant messaging from within the Wimba classroom. You will also see the PowerPoint slides used by the presenter (if used). This is a proven technology, and is a unique learning environment. Participants are able to have discussions with each other that strengthens and solidifies the learning experience.

Why aren't all classes offered every semester or term?

Scheduling for the online and on-campus programs is a lot like a big puzzle trying to make sure:

  1. There are sufficient students in a class (since teachers are paid according to how many students and they won't take a class with just a few students since it's just not adequate compensation for their time.)
  2. Those teachers who are qualified which means they have to have the proper credentials, have had to go through Canvas training, and be available.
  3. Teaching loads and teachers are not permitted to teach in excess of 3 courses in any semester or across 2 terms or a combination of those.
  4. That there is adequate sequencing so that students have an opportunity to continue forward (as long as there are no breaks, that has been done but if students cannot take a term or semester due to personal circumstances or not having adequately met the prerequisites of course completion, required GPA, or SLPI then this may cause problems for their sequencing.)

What GPA requirement is there for the ITP?

To be admitted into the ITP major, students must maintain a 2.75 GPA. Students who fall below that will be unable to participate in the internship courses. It is critical that students maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA in order to continue forward progress in the Interpreter Training Program. Students who are receiving scholarship assistance from the Department of Education or the Department of Mental Health must maintain a 2.75 GPA. If a student falls below this, they will be permitted one semester or term to pull their GPA back up. Failure to do so after one term or semester will result in revocation of the scholarship and a requirement to begin paying back all scholarship funds previously received.

I am interested in teaching in Troy's ITP or working in Troy's Language Lab on-campus or online, how do I apply?

All Troy University jobs are listed at ​www.troyunive​​.

Contact for more information on available jobs and opportunities.

Practicum/Internship Q&A

Practicum & Internship FAQ

Interpreter Training Scholarships (2008-09)

Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation

  • 8 In-state Scholarships for Tuition; and Activity, Registration and Service Fees (Fall Semester $2400/Spring Semester $2400) – Total $4800
  • 1 Out of State Tuition; and Activity, Registration and Service Fees (Fall Semester $4800/Spring Semester $4800) – Total $9600
  • 5 Book Stipends – (Fall $200/Spring $200) – Total $400
  • After graduating from the Interpreter Training program, students receiving these scholarships have a commitment to work three years for the Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation or one of the contract agencies of the Department.

Alabama Department of Education

  • 8 In-state Scholarships for Tuition; and Activity, Registration and Service Fees (Fall Semester $2400/Spring Semester $2400) – Total $4800
  • 1 Out of State Tuition; and Activity, Registration and Service Fees (Fall Semester $4800/Spring Semester $4800) – Total $9600
  • 5 Book Stipends – (Fall $200/Spring $200) – Total $400
  • After graduating from the Interpreter Training program, students receiving these scholarships have a commitment to work three years for the Alabama Department of Education, Alabama public schools, or one of the contract agencies of the Department.

Interpreter Training Clinical Experiences (2008-09)

Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services

  • The Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services offers students enrolled in the Interpreter Training program opportunities for clinical experiences with a paid stipend. Students typically complete these experiences within class requirements. See the instructor of the class for more information.