Departure Checklist  ::

For a more comprehensive checklist of items related to international travel, please check with the Office of International Studies at the TROY campus.

iC3 is offering this preliminary checklist as a way to begin preparation for your trip abroad. This list is not intended to be exhaustive but should better prepare you for your international travel.

Allow 6 weeks; expedited processing available at extra cost

Processing time varies from days to two months, depending on your purpose for travel, your citizenship and your destination

Make an appointment with a Travel Health Clinic months in advance, since some inoculations must be done in series over many weeks

Rail passes
Available from most travel agencies and cannot be purchased abroad. Most rail passes can be purchased immediately at local vendors.

International Youth Hostel Membership Card- optional

TROY University Student ID Card or TROY University Faculty ID Card

Passport copies
Carry two extra passport pictures separately from your passport, a copy of your passport, and a certified copy (not the original) of your birth certificate or an expired passport. If the passport is lost, report the loss to local police, get written confirmation of the police report, and take the above documents to the nearest U.S. consulate (if you are a U.S. citizen) and apply for a new passport. Note that passports cannot be issued immediately abroad, and you can expect a delay of days to weeks.

Permission from foreign governments may be required for you to enter their countries. You must have your passport to apply.

May be recommended for many destinations in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America.

You usually must have a round-trip ticket between the U.S. and foreign destination. Make a photocopy of your ticket (or e-ticket). Keep backup copies separate from the originals.

Always have multiple forms of money: cash, travelers checks, ATM and credit cards. Never carry large amounts of cash. Make three lists of traveler's checks. Leave one at home, carry one with the checks, and keep one in a different place along with the receipts. Use a hidden money belt for most of your money.

Credit & ATM cards
Keep a list or a copy of cards, account numbers, PIN numbers, and emergency replacement procedures. Also, refer to Selected Travel Abroad Web Sites for information on locating ATMs in foreign countries.

Mark all luggage inside and out with your name and address. Travel as light as possible. An internal frame backpack is the easiest to carry. Any suitcases should have wheels.

International Students
Non-U.S. citizens must see an international student and scholar advisor regarding travel plans, your U.S. immigration documents and re-entry to the U.S. Note that you may also need to obtain a visa(s) for the country or countries you intend to visit. A visa may take as long as a month or two to obtain.

Health and accident insurance (ISIC card provides additional insurance, including evacuation). It may be necessary to contact insurance agents while abroad, so keep all relevant names, phone numbers, and policy numbers in a safe place.

Assess Health & Safety Risks
See the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories for potential travel risks to certain countries.

Rail Passes
Must be purchased before you leave. Money savers for extensive travel include Eurailpass, Eurail Flexipass, Europass, Japan Rail Pass, Regional or Single Country Rail Passes, etc.

International ID Card
Card provides a broad range of discounts overseas, including the International Student ID ISIC Card, Youth ID Card (for non-students under 26), or International Teacher ID Card (ITIC) for full-time instructors.

International Youth Hostel Membership card
Allows you to stay in hostels all over the world (which generally do not have age limits); available in Ann Arbor from STA Travel, 734.769.2555.

Geared to your own travel style and itinerary. Student-oriented guidebook series include Let's Go, Lonely Planet and Rough Guides.

Photocopy your passport, plane ticket, travelers checks, rail pass, credit card numbers, and prescriptions. Take one set of copies with you and leave another set in the U.S.

Telephone calling card
The ISIC card can be used as a phone card. See Phones and Internet Service.

Make a reservation for your first night abroad and get information on traveling to and from the airport.

All members of the U-M community should register your travel itinerary on the ITOC web site. If you are a U.S. citizen, register your travel itinerary with the U.S. Department of State. Non-U.S. citizens should register with their home country's embassy. See Electronic Embassy for nearest embassy. Include your itinerary (dates, places and addresses abroad) and emergency contact information. If this cannot be done online, then register once you are in the host country by phone, fax, or in-person. Keep the embassy/consulate contact information with you in case of emergency.

Things to Consider

Take everything you will need for the trip, along with copies of all prescriptions and the generic names of drugs. Keep medicines in the original labeled drugstore containers. Take extra eyeglasses or contacts and the prescription.

International Driver's License
Can be obtained from AAA if you intend to drive while abroad.

Write down serial numbers, bring copies of receipts to avoid duty taxes, and make sure insurance and warranties are up to date (many home or renters' insurance will cover computers). Be aware of differences between American and foreign electrical current to avoid damage.

A quick and easy way to communicate with family and friends back home from internet cafés abroad. Free, web-based email accounts can be easily acquired (Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc.).

When You Arrive
Register with:
Closest U.S. embassy or consulate (U.S. citizens) or your own embassy (non-U.S. citizens). Local authorities, if required.

Don't carry everything in one place! Never pack important documents, medicine or anything you could not do without in checked luggage. Put them in your carry-on bag.

Jet lag
Try to relax and save energy during your long flight. Jet lag is a physical and psychological phenomenon that affects almost all travelers in some way. Through long years of habit, your body has become accustomed to functioning in accordance with a physiological clock based on a particular daily cycle. For at least a few days after arrival, that clock is going to be out of sync with local cycles.

Background reading about the countries and people you will see.

Foreign Language
Brush up your foreign language skills or buy a phrase book.

Avoid bringing unnecessary electrical devices (hair dryers, computers). If you bring such items, buy your current converters in the U.S. as they can be difficult to find abroad.

Toll free numbers
800, 888 numbers do not work abroad. Make sure that you have numbers that will work from abroad for your health insurance company, your credit card company, etc.


TROY University | College of Communication and Fine Arts | Department of Art and Design | Malone 132 | Troy, AL 36082 | 334.670.3391 [p] or 334.670.3395 [f]