5: Additional Database Information Sources:
Section 2 of 3, SHOW AND TELL, page 1 of 7.
SHOW AND TELL
Music and more.
Classical Music Library is a database that provides:
- Access to more than 50,000 audio recordings.
- Images related to composers—the composers themselves, their home, their family, their instruments, their compositions, and more. (Image right: Beethoven's project for the 10th Symphony.)
- Biographical information on composers.
- A glossary of musical terms.
- Descriptions of musical periods (Baroque, Romantic, etc.)—excerpt below.
Baroque: This term is now used to describe music from c1600 to the deaths of J S Bach and Handel around 1750. The term ‘Baroque’ meant ‘bizarre and unnatural’ and was used in the 18th century to criticize the musical style of the period. The music generally conforms to the ‘doctrine of affections’. This suggested that music’s primary aim was to arouse the affections or passions (love, hate, anger, joy etc). During this period…
HOW TO NAVIGATE THIS TUTORIAL:
Click here to go to the top of this screen.
End of this screen.