Non-Traditional Transfer Credit / Exams


The Academic Evaluation Center (or AEC) at TROY evaluates transfer credit from select non-traditional sources for all currently enrolled UNDERGRADUATE students attending TROY.

TROY recognizes and accepts select credit earned through non-traditional means such as credit by exam (CLEP/DSST/AP/IB/GCE-A/AS LEVEL); Military Service credit; State recognized Police and Corrections Academies; and Certificates of Training and/or Coursework recognized by the American Council on Education.  As with the evaluation of traditional academic credits, TROY makes every effort to provide our current students with the maximum amount of credit for their previous non-traditional education and training possible.  Following are the most common non-traditional credit types currently accepted by TROY.

TROY awards credit for select exams, provided the minimum score determined by TROY, has been earned.  Duplicate credit will not be awarded.  Therefore, if the credit to be received for any exam matches any credit already earned at TROY or another institution, the exam credit will not be recognized and/or awarded.  In addition, the minimum score for the exam correlates with the date the exam was actually completed.   Exams/score sheet information will not be available online for exams completed prior to August 2005. A complete list of accepted exams/minimum scores may be found in our undergraduate catalogs in the Academic Regulations section for exams completed since August 2005 or click the following link for the most current listings. 


The American Council on Education (ACE) was created in 1942 to recognize the educational value of military training and experience.  Since that time ACE has continuously evaluated military schools, correspondence courses and occupations to determine the amount and level of academic credit each should be awarded.  TROY recognizes and posts all military service credit with ACE credit recommended credits at the lower/upper level associate/baccalaureate category.  Vocational level credit is not recognized and duplicate credit for the same course award will not be allowed.  In most cases, these credits will be used to fulfill free elective requirements.  Further academic departmental review/substitution relative to the degree program may allow additional application of some eligible credit.

TRANSCRIPTS OF MILITARY SERVICE for Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard - may be requested through the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website at the following address:

AIR FORCE – CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) -

VETERANS – Veterans who are eligible may use the JST website as well.  However, if you are not eligible for a Joint Services Transcript, you will need to provide your DD-214 Discharge Document to receive credit for your experience.

Minimal credit will be awarded for the completion of a State recognized Police and/or Corrections Academy.  Currently, approximately 3 semester hours for the appropriate Introductory Law Enforcement and/or Corrections course will be awarded for the completion of such academy.  Additional credit would only be possible if approved by the academic department through a detailed departmental review process based on a student’s academy/experience.

TROY will generally follow the recommendations of the American Council on Education for courses listed in the National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training - National Guide contains ACE credit recommendations for formal courses or examinations offered by various organizations, from businesses and unions to the government and military.

TROY will accept NCCRS credit earned through education and training programs offered by NCCRS associated corporations, unions, religious organizations and proprietary schools for which NCCRS evaluators have reviewed and recommended baccalaureate/associate degree category credit.


A limited amount of graduate credit may be awarded for select Professional Military Education courses completed at select military service schools for which credit is recommended by the American Council on Education and approved by each appropriate College’s Dean.  The credit will be awarded if approved by the appropriate academic department/Dean through the PETITION FOR TRANSFER OF GRADUATE CREDIT process.  Graduate students must refer to their specific area of study in the graduate catalog to find out if such credit is an option for their program.  No credit may be granted for any work that will be over eight years old at the time of graduation from the TROY program for which transfer credit is requested.

Last Updated: 11/24/2014

Sitemap # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z