Graduate Comprehensive Exams
Students admitted to candidacy in a graduate program requiring a comprehensive examination must pass the required comprehensive examination, written and/or oral, covering the work taken in the major field. All students must register in advance for comprehensive examinations. Students should consult with TROY Online regarding procedures for scheduling and taking comprehensive examinations. This examination is usually taken during the last semester/term prior to graduation.
For testing dates and deadlines, please refer to the Academic Calendar at the following link:
The passing of the comprehensive exams is not to be considered a waiver of any other requirement for any program. Students who have unsuccessfully attempted the comprehensive exam may not change their program of study.
Should students fail the comprehensive exam, they must successfully retake the exam within one year of the date originally taken.
- Choose a proctor that meets the guidelines set by our proctor policy.
- Submit your choice using the online Comp Exam Proctor Form. Please see the Academic Calendar (http://trojan.troy.edu/online/academiccalendar.html) for the deadline for submission of this form.
- TROY Online staff will review your proctor's information and your academic records.
- If your proctor cannot be approved, you will be notified to locate another one and submit a new form.
- If your records reveal that you have met the requirements necessary before attempting the Comp Exam, you will be sent a study guide and the testing window dates for the exam which are also posted on the Academic Calendar. The Comp Exam is always given the second week of the term.
- About a week prior to the testing window, TROY Online staff will send your Comp Exam to your proctor and you will receive an email notifying you that your exam has been sent.
- You will then need to contact your proctor to confirm receipt of the exam information and to schedule an exam appointment during the specified testing window.
Note: You will not be contacted by TROY Online immediately after submitting the Comp Exam Proctor form. You can expect to receive the study guide and dates or a message from us within 7-10 days. There is a $50 Comp Exam fee posted to your account. The comp fee will not be posted immediately. Usually it will be posted to your account within a month. .
- Approved third-party testing center
- Troy site
- Military Education Office
In most cases, you should expect to pay a fee for proctoring services. Fees average around $25, but can be higher or lower depending on the proctor you choose.
Last Updated: 06/08/2016