Due to significant changes coming soon with Blackboard, a committee was formed to conduct an extensive Learning Management System (LMS) review. The LMS Review Committee participated in a six-month research and review process and recommended Canvas as the new LMS for Troy University. Dr. Jack Hawkins, Chancellor of Troy University, approved the recommendation and the migration process is now underway.
Key benefits of Canvas include:
- Easy and intuitive user interface
- Engaging communications skills
- Flexible cloud based architecture
- Robust and reliable system design
- 24/7 chat, email and phone support
- Easy to use mobile app.
The transition to Canvas will take place in two phases:
Phase 1 – Classes on Canvas will begin in Term 5/Summer Semester – May 30, 2017
- College of Communication and Fine Arts
- College of Education
- College of Health and Human Services
Phase 2 – Classes on Canvas will begin in Term 1/Fall Semester – August 14, 2017
- Sorrell College of Business
- College of Arts and Sciences
The Blackboard System will be archived and no longer used after the migration is completed in Fall 2017.
The migration to a new learning management system is not a trivial undertaking, but there are clear long term benefits. TROY Online is excited about this opportunity and committed to providing the necessary resources to assist users through this transition.