Q: How do I log into Canvas?
Q: What is my username and password for Canvas?
- Usernames for Canvas will be the same as usernames for Trojan Web Express and TROY Email (ex. If your email is email@example.com – your username is jdoe for Canvas)
- Passwords for Canvas will be the same as your Trojan Web Express and TROY Email password.
Q: Where do I start learning how to use Canvas?
- All faculty are enrolled in a “Welcome to Canvas” course that will walk you through the basic features and functionality needed to help you begin course development. You will have continued access to this course so you can refer back to it often.
- Canvas training will also be required by all faculty before teaching. To sign up for training contact the Instructional Design Training Team:
- Scott Smith - firstname.lastname@example.org
- LaKayla Moore - email@example.com
To view a training schedule and register for face-to-face training on each campus, visit the TROY University Center for Excellence in eTeaching.
Q: What browsers work best with Canvas?
- Canvas supports the current and first previous major releases of the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 11 and Edge (Windows only—please make sure your operating system is also current as noted in the computer specifications lesson; you may need to download the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to submit Canvas assignments)
- Safari 9 and 10 (Macintosh only)
- Chrome 55 and 56
- Firefox 50 and 51 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 23 and 24 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
Q: How do I get help with Canvas issues and questions?
- Canvas 24x7 Support
- Canvas offers 24x7 support to help you with all of your Canvas needs. You can communicate with Canvas support via phone, live chat, or by reporting an issue with Canvas (ticket). You will find 24x7 support information by clicking the Help button inside Canvas on the Navigation menu.
- Ticket System
- Faculty and students can also submit a ticket for assistance using the http://helpdesk.troy.edu ticket system to receive support from the TROY Educational Technology Team. Choose Canvas as the problem type
Q: How do I receive Canvas training?
- Canvas training will be offered in several different formats:
- Face-to-face on all campuses
- Self-paced training course inside Canvas
- Online via webinars
- To view a training schedule and register for face-to-face training on each campus, visit the TROY University Center for Excellence in eTeaching.
- To sign up for the self-paced training module contact the Instructional Design Training Team:
- NOTE: All instructors must become Canvas Certified to be able to teach in Canvas. You can receive certification by attending the six-hour campus training, the training webinars or completing the self-paced training course within Canvas.
Q: When will I receive access to my course shell for course development in Canvas?
- All Term 5/Summer 2017 course shells will be available to faculty in Canvas by March 8, 2017.
- Courses dating back to January 2016 will be migrated from Blackboard to Canvas by March 8, 2017 or shortly after depending on the length of time it takes for course migration.
- Term 1/Fall courses should be available by April 1, 2017 for course preparation.
Q: Will my DEV shells migrate over from Blackboard to Canvas?
- Faculty Development shells will not be moved from Blackboard to Canvas during the migration of courses. Faculty will receive three new DEV shells in Canvas. Faculty can use the instructions in the "Moving Materials from Blackboard to Canvas" document to move over DEV shell information from Blackboard to Canvas if necessary. Contact Educational Technology for help if you need assistance with this process.
Q: Does Canvas use the Content Management System (CMS) and will I still have access to course information currently stored in the Blackboard (CMS)?
- Great news! Canvas provides enough space in every course that no CMS is required. It will no longer be necessary to link documents to the CMS before placing them inside the course. You can now simply drag and drop content into the course. You will find that Canvas greatly simplifies course design.
Faculty can follow the instructions in the "Moving Content from Content Management System to Office 365" document to move CMS information to OneDrive within Office 365. Contact Educational Technology for help if you need assistance with this process.
Q: Will Publisher Content still be available within Canvas?
- Publisher integrations will be available for Canvas through an LTI or API integration. This simply means that Publisher content offerings only offered through course cartridges and building blocks will no longer be available. The Educational Technology team will be integrating Pearson, McGraw Hill, Soomo, Cengage, Wiley, Turnitin, Respondus, NetTutor, B&N, YouTube, TEDEd, Kahn Academy and other third-party solutions with Canvas. Additional integrations will also be made available to faculty in the form of Canvas Edu Apps. Please click below to see the apps available on the Edu App. Center. Some apps are free for faculty use and some require a license that must be obtained through Educational Technology.
Q: Will organizations be migrated from Blackboard to Canvas?
- All Blackboard organizations will be moved to the Canvas LMS along with the users.
Q: What if the course I need was not migrated over from Blackboard to Canvas?
- You can follow the instructions in the "Moving Materials from Blackboard to Canvas" document to export the Blackboard course and migrate it into Canvas. If you need assistance, submit a ticket using the http://helpdesk.troy.edu ticket system choosing Canvas as the problem type.
Q: What if I need one-on-one assistance developing my course in Canvas?
- For Instructional Design assistance with course development, you can reach out to the following contacts based on the college your course falls under:
- Mandy Mauldin (firstname.lastname@example.org) - College of Arts and Sciences
- Josh Hill (email@example.com) - College of Health & Human Services
- Inga Oberst (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Sorrell College of Business
- Loubna Zahri (email@example.com) - College of Education & College of Communication & Fine Arts
Q: How long will I have access to content within the Blackboard System?
- Faculty will continue to have access to content located in the Blackboard System until October 31, 2017.