Gene Elrod Success Center
- Admissions Essay This page is a brief checklist for students who are required to write admissions essays College of Education.
- Critical Reading / Critical Writing This page gives you questions to help analyze the relationship of your writing to your purpose, audience, and writing situation.
- How to Summarize an Article This page gives a step-by-step method for reading and summarizing material.
- The Critical Précis A critical précis is a summary that includes an evaluation of texts. You will find the précis format helpful in writing critical reviews. Critical reviews are required in many courses and on some admissions essays.
Online Writing Labs and other help
- The Purdue University Online Writing Lab The Purdue Online Writing Lab contains numerous valuable handouts on many writing topics.
- Resources for Writers This guide from the International Writing Center Association links to multiple resources on a variety of topics helpful to students.
- Bedford / St. Martin's Exercise Central This site gives you the opportunity to do exercises on grammar, style, and mechanics. The essays are graded online, and there is no charge for this service.
- Bedford / St. Martin's Research and Documentation This site gives instructions and sample papers in APA, MLA, Chicago, and CBE style.
- Diagnostic Tests for conventions of written English.
- The Twenty Most Common Errors This site by Andrea Lunsford lists the twenty most common mistakes in student writing and offers concise instruction on how to correct these mistakes.
- The George Mason University Guide to Writing in Psychology This site contains writing handouts for students in psychology.